- Blue Lagoon / Pattern Book by Merike Estna.
concept and editing: Merike Estna, Indrek Sirkel & Anu Vahtra / 64 pp/ 220 × 285 mm + insert 148 x 210 mm/ edition 400/ offset printing/ soft cover/ in English/ text: Merike Estna/ design: Indrek Sirkel/ photos: Anu Vahtra/ lithography: Marje Eelma/ publisher: Lugemik/ supporters: Temnikova & Kasela Gallery, LHV pank/
- Dear I’m a Painting / Always Yours, Blue Lagoon accompanied the exhibitions project Merike Estna and I’m a Painting.
The book is comprised of a creative dialogue with the works displayed in the exhibition hall, and contains extensive photo documentation of Merike Estna’s solo exhibition, The Blue Lagoon (curator Kati Ilves), as well as the works and spatial solutions presented at the international painting exhibition I’m a Painting (curators Merike Estna and Kati Ilves), which involved 15 artists. One photo series focuses on the installation and opening of the exhibition and on Merike Estna’s wearable paintings. The book also includes a scan of the Norwegian artist Simon Daniel Tegnanger’s work: papers imbued with plant dyes.
The texts for the book have been written by Gavin Wade, a British curator and an advocate for contemporary painting, the artist-curator Merike Estna and the curator Kati Ilves. In his essay, Gavin Wade poetically discusses the themes of the paintings, by establishing a relationship with the works on exhibit and the oeuvre of the participating artists. In Merike Estna’s fictional text, the two spatially merging exhibitions communicate with each other, by analysing the essential questions related to the exhibition as well as the spatial whole. In her introductory curatorial text, Kati Ilves explains the intellectual aspirations of the exhibitions project and reveals its background. The book was designed by Indrek Sirkel; the photo documentation was provided by Anu Vahtra.
The artists participating in the international painting exhibition I’m a Painting include Frank Ammerlaan, Ei Arakawa, Kerstin Brätsch, James Ferris, Annie Hémond Hotte, Juste Kostikovaite, Kristi Kongi, Kris Lemsalu, Nicolas Party, Katinka Pilscheur, Jon Rafman, Dan Rees, Samara Scott, Simon Daniel Tegnander and Taavi Tulev
Exhibition design: Aet Ader and Mari Hunt (B210) Graphic design: Indrek Sirkel
Supporters: Cultural Endowment of Estonia, and Akzo Nobel Baltics AS – Sadolin
More information: Kati Ilves Curator Kumu Art Museum Weizenbergi 34 / Valge 1 10127 Tallinn tel: 5697 9909 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.kumu.ee
- Arterritory, Challenging the Perception of Painting, Annika Toots from Tallinn, 14/07/2014 http://www.arterritory.com/en/texts/interviews/3781-challenging_the_perception_of_painting/
- Artforum, NERINGA ČERNIAUSKAITĖ on Merike Estna, November 2014, https://artforum.com/inprint/issue=201409&id=48793§ion=tallinn-estonia
“2012” presents Merike Estna´s works from 2012, published in two versions includes an edition of 200 with original painted covers and an essay by Tony Godfrey
Merike Estna´s catalogue is designed by Silvia Fantauzzi, published by Temnikova&Kasela gallery and the production is supported by Cultural Endowment of Estonia and Estonian Contemporary Art Development Center with the support from Enterprise Estonia and grants from European Regional Development Fund.
Book 2012 launch at the X Marks the Bökship, London, United Kingdom |01/11
- No Borders Just News, AICA Press, Paris 2008
- Hobusepea Gallery Book, Estonian Artists Association, Elin Kard, Tallinn 2008
- Prague Biennale 3, clocal and outsiders: connecting cultures in Central Europe, Giancarlo Politi Editore, Milan 2007
- New Wave, Estonian artists of the 21st century, Anders Härm and Hanno Soans, SA Tallinn Art Hall 2007
- 22+Young Estonian Artists, Karin Laansoo, Tallinn 2005
- Home sweet Home, Art Museum of Estonia, Estonia 2005
- Eesti Ekspress 25.04.201, Kadri Karro, Estna’s erotic spring at Hobusepea Gallery (download PDF)
- Eesti Päevaleht 20.04.2011, Riin Kübarsepp, Review: We are all observers anyway (download PDF)
- Eesti Ekspress 04.11.2010, Kadri Karro, Serious Girl
- Loviisan Sanomat 20.07.2010, Katariina Luoma, Process
- Uusimaa 25.07.2010, Sari Orkomies, Research about nakedness and human bodies
- östra Nyland 02.09.2010, Helene Holmström, Provocative nude studies and watercolor
- Kunst.ee 3/2008, Heie Treier, Discussion is open
- Taide 06.2007, Jaana Kokko, Laud celebrations
- Lääne Elu 04.08.2007, Kaie Ilves, Estna is opening the viewers eyes and shocking with an innocent rudeness
- Kunst.ee 1/2006, Andreas Trossek, When flesh becomes word (download PDF)
- Estonian Art 1/2006, Interview Questions by John Smith to Merike Estna
- Eesti Päevaleht 14.02.2006, Ave Randviir "Young painting and the surement of realism"
- Postimees14.02.2006, Anu Aaremäe "The end, hate yourself with a joy-Twice"(download PDF)
- Eesti Ekspress 08.02.2006, Harry Liivrand "inspirer of Doctor Freud"
- Eesti Päevaleht13.12.2005, Ave Randviir "Multiple artwork is better than one"
- Kunst.ee 4/2005, Anu Allas "The bunny kiss: twenty-five years later"(download PDF)
- Eesti Päevaleht 21.02.2005, Johannes Saar "The Overflowing Idyll of Pretty Boys Forecasts Danger"
- Postimees 26.08.2004, Riin Kübarsepp "A Fairy Tale about Jüri and Mari" (download PDF)
- Eesti Päevaleht 12.08.2004, Johannes Saar "At Gallery Vaal, squirrels are jumping and bunnies are playing around"(download PDF)